Skip to main content

Two Kinds

Stop me if you have heard this one before.
There are two kinds of people. The ones who want to be the best there ever was. And then there are the others who want to be the best till somebody else comes along.
There are two kinds of people. The ones who don’t know from where their next pay cheque is going to come from. And then there are the ones who always fantasize about their dreams.
I was one kind. Before I decided that I wanted to be the other. I was on the right side of the law. Did everything my parents wanted me to do. Finished my college. Found a job. Quit the job to study some more, in a foreign land. Found myself a fabricated cell with limited access to the world wide web during lunch hours. Parents felt proud of what I had achieved. I wanted them to come and visit.
There are two kinds of dogs. One which learns everything you want to teach. The other wants to learn new tricks. And then there are the others who are too old to be taught anything.
My parents did finally come. We walked along the trail left by million FOBs before us. They, my parents felt proud. I had gone where their dreams refused to drag them. That’s the first time the ugly question raised its’ puritan hand.
Is this all there is?
There are two kinds of people. The ones who want to reach the top and stay there. And then there are the others who jump from the top, hoping to fly.
I got married. Because that’s what people did at my age. I had to find somebody to go out with. Watch movies. Enjoy couple of drinks and dinner on a weekend. I did. It felt nice to share your silences.
There are two kinds of silences. One which speak volumes. And then there is other which chokes your innards and stretches a mere second till infinity.
We tried to avert the second kind of silence from enveloping our lives. So we gave birth to children. The world said we were blessed. Darlings they loved to call the three of them. We watched them grow. We recorded it all. One tweet, one facebook status, one instagram at a time. We watched them fall down and pick themselves up. We watched them cry and laugh. We cried and laughed with them.
There are two kinds of universes. The one which Newton and Einstein described. And then there is other which involves the people you label as family.
I grew old and they asked me to retire. The children had grown up and grown up fast. They left to conquer new shores. The hollow nest filled itself with mournful silence and happy memories. And I remembered my parents. I wondered if I had turned into them.
There are two kinds of memories. Ones which make you smile. And the other which you take to your grave.

R.I.P
ANONYMOUS

1958 - 2014

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FAQs

I have no idea why, not that I am complaining but there is huge surge in the number of people who are now reading my blog. And this has been bought (or is it brought, will never really get the difference between the two) to my attention by the slew of comments, by different people, a majority of them complete strangers. And I always have the same old standard questions which keep cropping every single time whenever I see an anon comment. So just like every other great idea of mine, which seem to glow like those bulbs which I first saw in Archie comics (mostly around Dilton's head, guess that is his name, the nerdy guy, don't really remember it so well, read that when I was in 4 th grade or something, my favorite was Moose), and the idea stuck that why don't I get these questions out of my system, whether they get answered or not is totally different issue. Though I understand that the reason why people chose to be anonymous is either they are famous and want common mortals...

Open Letter to the Chennai Male Engineering Students

Hello you-male-incumbent-potential-future-ignorant-regressive-khap-policy-makers, Before I begin, let me first clarify as to why I intend this letter to be both open and specific to Chennai Male Engineering college students. It is open because you lot are, as they say in English, idiots! I am also slightly inebriated at the moment, as they say in Tamil, I am in full mabbu. The only reason, I am making this post specific to Chennai Male Engineering students, because unfortunately I did my engineering in the city of Chennai. This maybe largely generalized in content and scathingly rhetoric in nature. I don’t expect you to comprehend most of things I embark on saying. Consider this to be a very Aamir Khan starring Mangal Pandey where a lone warrior foolishly wages war when the rest of his unit is smart enough to CYA* (Cover Your Ass). I am well aware of this survival instinct which is prevalent in you lot, I have been at the receiving end of it on many an occasion with my own batch...

Awesomeness Inc.

It has been a L O N G time since I have been this excited and proud to own something. The last time it was the Zippo and before that it was my first pair of Nike. Anyway... Ladies and Gentlemen. Hold your breathe and your pee, because I present to you 8 posters of awesomeness. Duly bought and framed and to be hung as a badge of snobbery. My personal favorite as you would by now be knowing is Rocky. After the infamous calling my hostel mate gay night of 2nd Jan, 2003, where I lost my Rocky IV poster, I believe this more than makes up for it. I also absolutely love the Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. Now the real problem is that these posters are mighty huge and I am not sure which posters are going in which room. But those are just details at the moment. For the time being, I am getting me knob polished by the awesome light being reflected off these beauties...