Skip to main content

The Girl in Yellow Boots - Mr. & Mrs. Kashyap, take a bow.

Written by the newly married couple of Anurag Kashyap and Kalki Koechlin, ‘The Girl in Yellow Boots’ is like a black moor fish, swimming alone in a pond filled with gold and koi fish. The girl in yellow boots is a story about an English girl named Ruth who comes to India in search for her father. And in her search she comes across the myriad characters who make you smile, squirm, make you react physically and verbally. The whys and the how of the search for her father form most of the screenplay, and it in these areas that the writer duo shines. The detailed shots are a joy to watch and, it makes you think about the possible symbolism of every single artifact which is in focus and even those which are out of focus. The silence in the first half of the movie forms as much as a part of the background score as the haunting and lilting rustic music by Naren Chandavarkar in the second half.

The movie progresses like the rising tide. Slow to begin with, and for those who don’t enjoy sitting at the edge of the beach watching the wave’s crash on the shore, the stark and almost documentary like Doordarshan production of the movie, especially in the opening scenes may well put you off. Watching this movie is just as hypnotic as watching tides crash on the shore. You are mesmerized, intrigued and almost drawn into this guilty, voyeuristic view of the girl in the yellow boots. The movie is dark in its tonality, but is punctuated with short, stellar and brilliant performances by Gulshan Devaiya as Chittappa, the kannada speaking gangster, Naseerudin Shah, as Ruth’s well wisher, Pooja Swaroop as Maya, Ruth’s employer and owner of the massage parlor.  

The movie definitely deserves its label as a thriller, with red herrings peppering the screen, as Ruth continues your search for her father.  And it is the way the movie ends that leaves you with answers and new questions of your own. This I suppose is what the director intended for the audience to feel as they empty their seats and leave the hall. There are many reasons why the director wanted the movie to be screened without any intervals, the movie’s runtime is about 79 minutes, and the movie has this shadow like quality which the viewer experiences, inducing a break in this experience would probably not leave you with the same impact as the director intends to and succeeds rather magnificently. 

Indie movies are no longer considered indie movies anymore with the advent of multiplexes, but if the audiences want to support art which is not a rehash or a remake of something, then ‘The Girl in Yellow Boots’ would be a lovely venture to support. And be prepared to discuss the movie, especially the ending with your friends after you are done watching the movie. This one is for true cinephiles and for people looking for original and hatke stories.

Comments

Anandi Gandhi said…
Well written review. I saw it too and I am really impressed that it was made by an Indian director. Some of the actors could have been better like the guy who played the father kind of fell short I feel. But over all great to see a movie without a happy ending. Reminded me of 'Incendies' another great indie movie.
Zennmaster said…
True. The final confrontation did leave you feeling prematurely ejaculated. But overall, it was mighty decent effort.

Popular posts from this blog

FAQs

I have no idea why, not that I am complaining but there is huge surge in the number of people who are now reading my blog. And this has been bought (or is it brought, will never really get the difference between the two) to my attention by the slew of comments, by different people, a majority of them complete strangers. And I always have the same old standard questions which keep cropping every single time whenever I see an anon comment. So just like every other great idea of mine, which seem to glow like those bulbs which I first saw in Archie comics (mostly around Dilton's head, guess that is his name, the nerdy guy, don't really remember it so well, read that when I was in 4 th grade or something, my favorite was Moose), and the idea stuck that why don't I get these questions out of my system, whether they get answered or not is totally different issue. Though I understand that the reason why people chose to be anonymous is either they are famous and want common mortals...

Open Letter to the Chennai Male Engineering Students

Hello you-male-incumbent-potential-future-ignorant-regressive-khap-policy-makers, Before I begin, let me first clarify as to why I intend this letter to be both open and specific to Chennai Male Engineering college students. It is open because you lot are, as they say in English, idiots! I am also slightly inebriated at the moment, as they say in Tamil, I am in full mabbu. The only reason, I am making this post specific to Chennai Male Engineering students, because unfortunately I did my engineering in the city of Chennai. This maybe largely generalized in content and scathingly rhetoric in nature. I don’t expect you to comprehend most of things I embark on saying. Consider this to be a very Aamir Khan starring Mangal Pandey where a lone warrior foolishly wages war when the rest of his unit is smart enough to CYA* (Cover Your Ass). I am well aware of this survival instinct which is prevalent in you lot, I have been at the receiving end of it on many an occasion with my own batch...

Awesomeness Inc.

It has been a L O N G time since I have been this excited and proud to own something. The last time it was the Zippo and before that it was my first pair of Nike. Anyway... Ladies and Gentlemen. Hold your breathe and your pee, because I present to you 8 posters of awesomeness. Duly bought and framed and to be hung as a badge of snobbery. My personal favorite as you would by now be knowing is Rocky. After the infamous calling my hostel mate gay night of 2nd Jan, 2003, where I lost my Rocky IV poster, I believe this more than makes up for it. I also absolutely love the Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. Now the real problem is that these posters are mighty huge and I am not sure which posters are going in which room. But those are just details at the moment. For the time being, I am getting me knob polished by the awesome light being reflected off these beauties...