Skip to main content

Blurg by Vishnu

I've always been picky when it came to the people I call friends. I've pissed of plenty of unsuspecting 'friends' over the years because of my stubborn refusal to call them my friends. The few times I did manage to call them my friends I'd always correct myself immediately. I'd immediately say, 'as in, yeah, I know the guy; we've hung out a few times'. Of course, if the conversation ends there, it's usually best for all parties involved. But occasionally there's the nosy 'so you're friends' following my correction. At which point I would never really have a choice but to tell them what I think. What do I think? I think the word friend is thrown around quite loosely. I do. There are people I've known for years, who I wouldn't be able to call friends. Now I don't know, maybe it's just me, my inherent unwillingness to participate in the social masquerade, but I can't, for the life of me, feel comfortable in a group of more than, oh I don't know, 8. Even a group of 8, its probably 5 friends with 3 other buggers that always just happened to be around when the pictures were taken. I guess nobody really think its worth the effort, the standards, if that's what they are. Truth is, if anyone were to stick to this approach, they'd soon see that they don't really have a lot of friends. The loose usage of the term, despite its superficialities, at least ensured a numerically successful social life. But when you really think about it, how many friends do you have, really?

The definition that comes to closest to my perception of a friend is 'comrade in arms'. Come to think of it, I couldn't have put it better myself. Life's a bitch, and I suppose people that I call a friend are those that fight beside me, through every aspect, the guts, the grit, the glory. They're the ones that have witnessed the worst mistakes of my life, and saved me from the brink of many more. And if you're thinking 'well that doesn't really give the people I know now much of a chance', then you clearly don't know me, I re invent the range of possibilities defined by the phrase 'worst mistake' every other year. So there are plenty of opportunities for pretty much anyone to witness the worst mistake of my life (yet), it's the next bit that filters out the friends from the rest.

The reason I'm blowing all this steam on this guy's blog is because when he asked me to write a guest entry for the blog, the first thing that came to mind were his friends. And while I know that the blog would still be worth reading over again when you're fifty, I think it goes without saying that it wouldn't be as worthy without the lines in between that contain oblique , among other, references to your comrade in arms. Obviously, while the loose usage of the word may creep in every now and then, I think I'm not wrong in saying that he knows who his friends are, at the end of the day. The good, the reliable, the few.

Guest post by Vishnu. You can read more of his shit @ http://chronic-delirium.blogspot.com/

Comments

Anonymous said…
Freeze!

Stay right where you are. You have been tagged. I repeat. You have been tagged. You have the right to remain silent, but only for a day or two. After that, respond to my humble little tag... Hmm... Didn't quite seem so humble, eh?

Popular posts from this blog

FAQs

I have no idea why, not that I am complaining but there is huge surge in the number of people who are now reading my blog. And this has been bought (or is it brought, will never really get the difference between the two) to my attention by the slew of comments, by different people, a majority of them complete strangers. And I always have the same old standard questions which keep cropping every single time whenever I see an anon comment. So just like every other great idea of mine, which seem to glow like those bulbs which I first saw in Archie comics (mostly around Dilton's head, guess that is his name, the nerdy guy, don't really remember it so well, read that when I was in 4 th grade or something, my favorite was Moose), and the idea stuck that why don't I get these questions out of my system, whether they get answered or not is totally different issue. Though I understand that the reason why people chose to be anonymous is either they are famous and want common mortals...

Open Letter to the Chennai Male Engineering Students

Hello you-male-incumbent-potential-future-ignorant-regressive-khap-policy-makers, Before I begin, let me first clarify as to why I intend this letter to be both open and specific to Chennai Male Engineering college students. It is open because you lot are, as they say in English, idiots! I am also slightly inebriated at the moment, as they say in Tamil, I am in full mabbu. The only reason, I am making this post specific to Chennai Male Engineering students, because unfortunately I did my engineering in the city of Chennai. This maybe largely generalized in content and scathingly rhetoric in nature. I don’t expect you to comprehend most of things I embark on saying. Consider this to be a very Aamir Khan starring Mangal Pandey where a lone warrior foolishly wages war when the rest of his unit is smart enough to CYA* (Cover Your Ass). I am well aware of this survival instinct which is prevalent in you lot, I have been at the receiving end of it on many an occasion with my own batch...

Awesomeness Inc.

It has been a L O N G time since I have been this excited and proud to own something. The last time it was the Zippo and before that it was my first pair of Nike. Anyway... Ladies and Gentlemen. Hold your breathe and your pee, because I present to you 8 posters of awesomeness. Duly bought and framed and to be hung as a badge of snobbery. My personal favorite as you would by now be knowing is Rocky. After the infamous calling my hostel mate gay night of 2nd Jan, 2003, where I lost my Rocky IV poster, I believe this more than makes up for it. I also absolutely love the Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. Now the real problem is that these posters are mighty huge and I am not sure which posters are going in which room. But those are just details at the moment. For the time being, I am getting me knob polished by the awesome light being reflected off these beauties...