Skip to main content

God.

I can't quite recollect as to the last time when I prayed to god. In the way people, the masses tend to, I can't recollect when was the last time I found solace in having conversation with thin air and seeking answers and feeling good about the whole exercise.

Last evening, I wasn't feeling good, not in the I-need-to-shit-but-I-cant-find-a-loo kind of way, I was feeling fucked in the heart and mind. And on my way back home, in the auto and in the bus I was thinking its time that I need a god in my life, somebody I could pray to, and I was wondering why do I feel the need now, how have I been managing all these years?

And then the answer bought a nice small smile. The kind of smile which is just powerful enough to warm the cockles of your heart and turn the corners of your lips skywards.

PREETHI.

Now, if somebody asked to name one good reason as to why am alive and do the things that i do, the answer is Preethi. Now without going into the details of my sorry past which I carry around tattooed over my forearm, I have never been actually been able to tell her how grateful and lucky I am that I have her in my life, as a friend, as a mentor, as my godmother. I am not really sure as to why she did the things she did for me, but am not complaining, I know from my 12th grade exams till now, there is a small voice in my head which lets Preethi know that I want her to watch my back, I want her to give me enough strength to see through another day, and I realize that this is the kind of a prayer people generally reserve for god. And for me Preethi is more than God.

Am not saying that she claims herself to be invincible or without any problems, she has her own Idiosyncrasies, like her compulsive need to clean her toilets sparkling white, (her toilets are more white than taj mahal, and more decorative than the queens Jewels), a brilliant sense of humor, a laugh which emanates from the bottom of her belly and when it comes gurgling out of her throat you can't help but join her in this merriment.

But it is these quirks which make her approachable at least for me, and as cliched it may sound, the beauty lies in imperfection, the beauty of our relationship is not in the godmother-godson relation (am pretty sure Preethi if she ever reads this, she is gonna give me a call with mock anger and say "thanks for depressing me by calling me something old like a godmother, you could have just called me preethi!!!").

I can see the love she has for herself, for her son, for her husband. Even though she is one of those women who rightfully ask for equal rights, she is also the kind of a woman who understands that when her husband (Devi, who has by far the best laugh I have heard in my whole life) returns home, all he wants is a clean house, a wife who is looking fresh and is waiting for him and a son who thinks he can change the world.

Talking about her son, Rohan, who somehow manages to bring out this protective thing in me, it is he who lets you take a peek in how Preethi is as a person, as a mother, as a wife, as a friend. I have seen Rohan grow since kindergarten and I cant help but notice in the ways Rohan is growing, from the shy timid boy who had women of all ages calling out to him as cute, to now where they can see the makings of a love machine, (hehehehe... Preethi... Don't worry I shall make sure he is the coolest and the hottest kid in town).

There is just so much I can talk about Preethi, Devi and Rohan not to forget about Mimi, Manu Dada, and Solomon, but I still will not be able to do justice even to the tiny miniscule of how big these people's heart are. I just want Preethi to know that if she ever became famous and replies tongue in cheek to a question from a Journo by saying " I just want to make somebodies life worth living for" well I just want her to know that she had done that long time back.

To Preethi the woman who always be more than a friend and a mother to me.

Comments

Reshmi Iyer said…
awwww!!

so you're back!! and with yet another "controversial" haircut :)

as for preethi, thanks for keeping his reins intact...or god knows wat'd have happnd to the world :)

and rohan...god help you kid!! make a run for it, while u still can ;)

Popular posts from this blog

FAQs

I have no idea why, not that I am complaining but there is huge surge in the number of people who are now reading my blog. And this has been bought (or is it brought, will never really get the difference between the two) to my attention by the slew of comments, by different people, a majority of them complete strangers. And I always have the same old standard questions which keep cropping every single time whenever I see an anon comment. So just like every other great idea of mine, which seem to glow like those bulbs which I first saw in Archie comics (mostly around Dilton's head, guess that is his name, the nerdy guy, don't really remember it so well, read that when I was in 4 th grade or something, my favorite was Moose), and the idea stuck that why don't I get these questions out of my system, whether they get answered or not is totally different issue. Though I understand that the reason why people chose to be anonymous is either they are famous and want common mortals...

Open Letter to the Chennai Male Engineering Students

Hello you-male-incumbent-potential-future-ignorant-regressive-khap-policy-makers, Before I begin, let me first clarify as to why I intend this letter to be both open and specific to Chennai Male Engineering college students. It is open because you lot are, as they say in English, idiots! I am also slightly inebriated at the moment, as they say in Tamil, I am in full mabbu. The only reason, I am making this post specific to Chennai Male Engineering students, because unfortunately I did my engineering in the city of Chennai. This maybe largely generalized in content and scathingly rhetoric in nature. I don’t expect you to comprehend most of things I embark on saying. Consider this to be a very Aamir Khan starring Mangal Pandey where a lone warrior foolishly wages war when the rest of his unit is smart enough to CYA* (Cover Your Ass). I am well aware of this survival instinct which is prevalent in you lot, I have been at the receiving end of it on many an occasion with my own batch...

Awesomeness Inc.

It has been a L O N G time since I have been this excited and proud to own something. The last time it was the Zippo and before that it was my first pair of Nike. Anyway... Ladies and Gentlemen. Hold your breathe and your pee, because I present to you 8 posters of awesomeness. Duly bought and framed and to be hung as a badge of snobbery. My personal favorite as you would by now be knowing is Rocky. After the infamous calling my hostel mate gay night of 2nd Jan, 2003, where I lost my Rocky IV poster, I believe this more than makes up for it. I also absolutely love the Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. Now the real problem is that these posters are mighty huge and I am not sure which posters are going in which room. But those are just details at the moment. For the time being, I am getting me knob polished by the awesome light being reflected off these beauties...