Skip to main content

Chapter 4 : Neha

The J jinx continued to follow dad, and we soon found ourselves moving out from jalandhar, punjab to jorhat, assam. The name jorhat conjures up the following things for me : henoch schonlein syndrome, Neha, carmel school and fights between mom and dad about money.

Mom started working as a school teacher in jorhat in carmel convent, where we used to have morning mass, and evening mass, one of the most embarrasing moments ever. Being raised in schools where the last bell rings followed by a sense of euphoria, and a sense of urgency to get back home asap change clothes and hit the playground either to play basketball, cricket or rugby with the bigger boys. I ran at the sound of the last bell, tearing down the corridor, into the playgorund when suddenly the strap of my bag tore and all the remanants of the after rava upma ( which was the entire lunch, cos i had not eaten them, rav upma, somehow chokes you by sticking in the back of your throat, you feeling the entire granular texture of the rava going down your throat. ) and i stopped to pick my bag, cursing that am gonna lose the lead i had got, and i turned around to see that I was the only kid in the playground, the rest of the school was busy singing hymns or something of that sort, and i did not know what to do, should I walk back to the class and compound the agony and bring the entire episode to glaring public notice or should i run to my army bus waiting there with the nobody inside, teasing me with the prospect of taking the most lucrative seat, next to the conductor.

So there i took the latter choice, who said i was an uprighteous kid? this was my first day in that school. But i remember carmel school, not for this, not for the fact that I was absent from it for more than 8 months fighting for dear life thanks to some godforsaken disease which sounds pretty exotic "henoch schonlein syndrome". But for the dimpled smile of Neha.

I would like to say that before going any further that the following text is what I felt back then and there are no more residual feelings now.

Everybody cries that movies somehow affect the impressionable mind, well I was no exception, I loved Mohra ( tu cheese badi hai mast mast... actually sounds like a good ad campaign for amul cheese ro something) and though I don remember the movie name there was this sad haunting movie song which i used to sing to myself while walking down the corridors of the hospital after taking a hazar steriods to reduce the inflammtion of my blood vessels, wrapping the shawl around my shoulders enacting a La- Devdas, but soon, i got alrite, got discharged from the hospital after a rather short stay of 8 months, and soon dad got transferred from jorhat, but Neha's memory haunted me for close to a decade, and I used to fantasize that one fine day when I become rich and famous I ll search for her and tell her how i felt about her, did not matter if she was married or not, I just wanted to pour out whatever i felt.

I would meet her after close to 16 yrs... and the meeting would have reprucssions in my life in ways i would have never comprehended. But thats later on. Way later on. But as destiny and god have this sadistic sense of humor, i would meet her. I did.

Jorhat always reminds me of my puppy dog love, and the 43 puncture marks in my hands in places where they put in the IV. Yes, it will remain etched in my mind as a dream which could never fulfill itself into reality, I don feel sorry about it, but if it had then it would have been the stuff which movies and dreams are made off, but reality aint anywhere close to it now, is it?

Comments

Reshmi Iyer said…
there's more to this story...please.. is there?!!

im intrigued! ur autobiography is goin strong! i so want you to complete this book!! great writing!
Zennmaster said…
there are more twists and turns in this story than the ones in my ever expanding intestines.
Reshmi Iyer said…
LOL! i cant wait to read this book!!!! honest!

Popular posts from this blog

FAQs

I have no idea why, not that I am complaining but there is huge surge in the number of people who are now reading my blog. And this has been bought (or is it brought, will never really get the difference between the two) to my attention by the slew of comments, by different people, a majority of them complete strangers. And I always have the same old standard questions which keep cropping every single time whenever I see an anon comment. So just like every other great idea of mine, which seem to glow like those bulbs which I first saw in Archie comics (mostly around Dilton's head, guess that is his name, the nerdy guy, don't really remember it so well, read that when I was in 4 th grade or something, my favorite was Moose), and the idea stuck that why don't I get these questions out of my system, whether they get answered or not is totally different issue. Though I understand that the reason why people chose to be anonymous is either they are famous and want common mortals...

Open Letter to the Chennai Male Engineering Students

Hello you-male-incumbent-potential-future-ignorant-regressive-khap-policy-makers, Before I begin, let me first clarify as to why I intend this letter to be both open and specific to Chennai Male Engineering college students. It is open because you lot are, as they say in English, idiots! I am also slightly inebriated at the moment, as they say in Tamil, I am in full mabbu. The only reason, I am making this post specific to Chennai Male Engineering students, because unfortunately I did my engineering in the city of Chennai. This maybe largely generalized in content and scathingly rhetoric in nature. I don’t expect you to comprehend most of things I embark on saying. Consider this to be a very Aamir Khan starring Mangal Pandey where a lone warrior foolishly wages war when the rest of his unit is smart enough to CYA* (Cover Your Ass). I am well aware of this survival instinct which is prevalent in you lot, I have been at the receiving end of it on many an occasion with my own batch...

Awesomeness Inc.

It has been a L O N G time since I have been this excited and proud to own something. The last time it was the Zippo and before that it was my first pair of Nike. Anyway... Ladies and Gentlemen. Hold your breathe and your pee, because I present to you 8 posters of awesomeness. Duly bought and framed and to be hung as a badge of snobbery. My personal favorite as you would by now be knowing is Rocky. After the infamous calling my hostel mate gay night of 2nd Jan, 2003, where I lost my Rocky IV poster, I believe this more than makes up for it. I also absolutely love the Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. Now the real problem is that these posters are mighty huge and I am not sure which posters are going in which room. But those are just details at the moment. For the time being, I am getting me knob polished by the awesome light being reflected off these beauties...