Skip to main content

Here is what I think the future holds!

Years ago, back in 2010, I had the good fortune for working on a trend forecasting project for a proper-proper blue chip company. Our job was to predict the future five years down the line, so that the company would be well prepared to get its pipeline of products in tune for the needs of its customers for the future. 

It was the first time, I came across a company which had vision. 

And the project and the predictions or in market speak, the trends that we forecasted have played themselves out enough for me to thump my chest like a Neanderthal calling out to Jane, the proverbial virgin. 

Time has elapsed, and I seek the same rush of predicting future trends. 

So, here are my trend forecasts for the next 5 years (2017 - 2022)

  • Prime/Select/Premium subscriptions will enlist a human component and not just rely on an algorithm. 
    • This includes media subscriptions such as Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime etc. 
      • These services will be charged on top of the services you are already paying for as a special service. 
  • There is going to be a massive shuffle up in the conventional media set-up. 
    • The print/digital debate is going to be replaced with facts vs alternative facts. 
  • Print/Digital debate is going to be replaced by cord cutter Vs cable
  • People are going to pay a premium for catered, customised services.
  • Consumption of media is going to get lot more fractured and the concept of "bubbles" and its scope is going to be get lot more smaller. 
  • Market disruptions are going to go the physics way - In the sense that they are going to get more frequent and large. 
    • The focus of innovation is now going to shift from one of providing convenience to one of providing control to the users. 
    • There is going to be an increased demand for storage spaces especially in urban markets. [remote garages sort of thing] 
  • Recycling things in a profitable manner is going to be new "it" thing in tech space. 
  • Even more niche hobbies are going to turn lucrative
    • Organic farming, homemade accessories and handicrafts are already making their forays.
    • Hobbyist photography, writing and other endeavours are already reaching market saturation, both from supply and demand side
  •  Immersive entertainment is going to take a massive step and change the way people consume audio visual stories. 
  • Indian movies/popular discourse is going to turn lot more political as the right wing will remain in power for another 5 years as lack of leadership in opposition will remain static. 
  • The selfie culture of trying to promote one's life being awesome is going to mutate and take another form. [edit: 6Mar 1757hrs]

Will update this or refine this till 31st May, 2017 and then freeze it. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FAQs

I have no idea why, not that I am complaining but there is huge surge in the number of people who are now reading my blog. And this has been bought (or is it brought, will never really get the difference between the two) to my attention by the slew of comments, by different people, a majority of them complete strangers. And I always have the same old standard questions which keep cropping every single time whenever I see an anon comment. So just like every other great idea of mine, which seem to glow like those bulbs which I first saw in Archie comics (mostly around Dilton's head, guess that is his name, the nerdy guy, don't really remember it so well, read that when I was in 4 th grade or something, my favorite was Moose), and the idea stuck that why don't I get these questions out of my system, whether they get answered or not is totally different issue. Though I understand that the reason why people chose to be anonymous is either they are famous and want common mortals...

Open Letter to the Chennai Male Engineering Students

Hello you-male-incumbent-potential-future-ignorant-regressive-khap-policy-makers, Before I begin, let me first clarify as to why I intend this letter to be both open and specific to Chennai Male Engineering college students. It is open because you lot are, as they say in English, idiots! I am also slightly inebriated at the moment, as they say in Tamil, I am in full mabbu. The only reason, I am making this post specific to Chennai Male Engineering students, because unfortunately I did my engineering in the city of Chennai. This maybe largely generalized in content and scathingly rhetoric in nature. I don’t expect you to comprehend most of things I embark on saying. Consider this to be a very Aamir Khan starring Mangal Pandey where a lone warrior foolishly wages war when the rest of his unit is smart enough to CYA* (Cover Your Ass). I am well aware of this survival instinct which is prevalent in you lot, I have been at the receiving end of it on many an occasion with my own batch...

Awesomeness Inc.

It has been a L O N G time since I have been this excited and proud to own something. The last time it was the Zippo and before that it was my first pair of Nike. Anyway... Ladies and Gentlemen. Hold your breathe and your pee, because I present to you 8 posters of awesomeness. Duly bought and framed and to be hung as a badge of snobbery. My personal favorite as you would by now be knowing is Rocky. After the infamous calling my hostel mate gay night of 2nd Jan, 2003, where I lost my Rocky IV poster, I believe this more than makes up for it. I also absolutely love the Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. Now the real problem is that these posters are mighty huge and I am not sure which posters are going in which room. But those are just details at the moment. For the time being, I am getting me knob polished by the awesome light being reflected off these beauties...