Tuesday, 4 November 2014

Two Kinds

Stop me if you have heard this one before.
There are two kinds of people. The ones who want to be the best there ever was. And then there are the others who want to be the best till somebody else comes along.
There are two kinds of people. The ones who don’t know from where their next pay cheque is going to come from. And then there are the ones who always fantasize about their dreams.
I was one kind. Before I decided that I wanted to be the other. I was on the right side of the law. Did everything my parents wanted me to do. Finished my college. Found a job. Quit the job to study some more, in a foreign land. Found myself a fabricated cell with limited access to the world wide web during lunch hours. Parents felt proud of what I had achieved. I wanted them to come and visit.
There are two kinds of dogs. One which learns everything you want to teach. The other wants to learn new tricks. And then there are the others who are too old to be taught anything.
My parents did finally come. We walked along the trail left by million FOBs before us. They, my parents felt proud. I had gone where their dreams refused to drag them. That’s the first time the ugly question raised its’ puritan hand.
Is this all there is?
There are two kinds of people. The ones who want to reach the top and stay there. And then there are the others who jump from the top, hoping to fly.
I got married. Because that’s what people did at my age. I had to find somebody to go out with. Watch movies. Enjoy couple of drinks and dinner on a weekend. I did. It felt nice to share your silences.
There are two kinds of silences. One which speak volumes. And then there is other which chokes your innards and stretches a mere second till infinity.
We tried to avert the second kind of silence from enveloping our lives. So we gave birth to children. The world said we were blessed. Darlings they loved to call the three of them. We watched them grow. We recorded it all. One tweet, one facebook status, one instagram at a time. We watched them fall down and pick themselves up. We watched them cry and laugh. We cried and laughed with them.
There are two kinds of universes. The one which Newton and Einstein described. And then there is other which involves the people you label as family.
I grew old and they asked me to retire. The children had grown up and grown up fast. They left to conquer new shores. The hollow nest filled itself with mournful silence and happy memories. And I remembered my parents. I wondered if I had turned into them.
There are two kinds of memories. Ones which make you smile. And the other which you take to your grave.

R.I.P
ANONYMOUS

1958 - 2014

No comments: