Saturday, 27 December 2008

Slumdog Millionaire

Just finished watching the movie, and I am compelled to write this. I have no idea why, but never has the theme music of KBC been so uplifting. Danny Boyle after 'Full Monty' does it again, I mean Slumdog Millionaire was probably the 2nd movie this year which got the reviews which probably made me doubt its brilliance just like 'The Dark Knight', but both the movies stand up to all the things which are written about it and the things which are not said about the movie.

Personally I loved the youngest version of Jamal, there was this certain sense of innocence in the guy's eyes which speak volumes, and throughout the first half I was expecting them to grow up to their present age, can't really help it when you have been born and brought up on Hindi masala movies. Though personally I feel there is something very irritating about Frieda Pinto / Latika, the female protagonist, same goes for the second young Jamal and Salim till the very end just wants to get his shit kicked out of him by you. Though I was honestly surprised on finding M.I.A's paper planes being part of the OST considering the fact that it is an A.R Rahman's project, but what the hell…

The movie is Lagaan meets KBC meets Breakaway. Never has a movie so dark and depressing been such a feel good movie. And the whole movie I kept thinking how Dev Patel actually reminds me of Vishnu, I am not sure why exactly maybe because of his diction or body language or because I knew exactly where he would have jumped up and down and wet himself like a year old in pig-tails whose name almost sounds alike to Parvathy Omnakuttam (or however the fuck you call/spell her name). But fuck, the movie is depressing as hell but the KBC score in the end lifts your spirits so high which I am sure is not because of the bottle of cognac I just finished. Anil Kapoor is this grey character you can't really put your finger on and say this is who he was in the movie.

The movie is worth watching not just because of its depressing-dark-bringing-tears-to-my-eyes-joy but also for the last montage in rewind.

1 comment:

Stranger in a strange land said...

I am not sure why exactly maybe because of his diction or body language or because I knew exactly where he would have jumped up and down and wet himself like a year old in pig-tails


Computer Ji, answer ;(c)Because I knew....' lock kiya jaye!

********SPOILER ALERT***********

Dude I nearly fainted in awe of Boyle's brilliance when the screen fades to black and "It is writen" is left on the screen. Oh. . . . YEAH!